Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Family Fun


A family that I greatly admire does "Friday Family Movie Night" every week. They have 2 daughters, both of whom have been in my first grade classroom and are well-balanced, amazing little women. Even before Curly was born I suggested to Mr. P that we start this tradition ourselves. I grew up going to the movies, every weekend, on holidays even. My extended family has more nicknames and random quotes from the big screen to fill Leonard Malten's next book. I've always enjoyed the feeling of escaping into a well-filmed and well-presented story even if the "well-" part isn't exactly there...

Popcorn, picnic dinner, make-your-own desserts were some of the other ideas we thought we'd try. The boys are still too young to sit through a movie, but I look forward to sharing with them the flicks of my youth. Those that stayed with me and those that I never got the chance to enjoy. (Believe it or not, but I don't think I've ever seen "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" all the way through...) Put every Disney film on the list, please.

Mr. P has a cousin whose family does "Friday Night Wii" and they always require costumes.

Here's a list from Daily Babble that might help you get started. Some are for the older crowd. Mostly live action so let's generate our own animated features list.

20+ Top Family Movies


1. Planet Earth (2006)

2. Young Tom Edison (1940)

3. Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

4. Pride of the Yankees (1942)

5. Hans Christian Andersen (1952)

6. The Story of Louis Pasteur (1935)

7. The Miracle Worker (1962)

8. Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)

9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

10. Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man

11. Young Frankenstein (1974)

12. Hoosiers (1986)

13. Rocky (1976)

14. The Natural (1984)

15. Chariots of Fire (1981)

16. Bad News Bears (1976)

17. The Simpsons

18. Wallace and Gromit

19. Plymptoons — The Complete Works of Bill Plympton

20. The Red Balloon (1991, France)

21. Skinny and Fatty (1959, Japan)

22. Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

23. Modern Times (1936)

24. City Lights (1931)

25. The Princess Bride (1987)

26. Groundhog Day (1993)



What are some of the traditions that you have that may center around flicks or family fun on weekends?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list. I haven't even heard of half of these movies. We did our first "Family Movie Night" on Friday (because Alden had a fever and I thought it'd be a nice change of pace.) We selected Toy Story -- which I don't recommend for the preschool and under set. As you may have seen me post on FB, too many "stupid" "idiot" and "shut up" references. Not to mention it was a wee bit scary with the next door neighbor scenes.

    I'll check out this list for next time! (A&S requested "next time" be "tomorrow." Surprising, I know.) :P

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Couldn't you just eat this one up? Did it not wet your appetite? What are you craving next? Let me know!