1. Peel apples if desired. (I don't b/c I'm lazy and just scrub my organic apples really well.)
2. Halve and core the apples. Cut into 4 slices. (I use my apple slicer - much faster.)
3. Put sliced apples into a pot with a heavy bottom. Add water, sugar, lemon zest and juice and cinnamon.
4. Cover and place over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are very tender, @30-35 minutes. Keep heat low at first to the apples don't burn.
5. If peeled, simply mash them with a potato masher. I just put them in my food processor.
6. Store applesauce in a covered container in the fridge for a week or two. (I repurpose applesauce jars from Trader Joe's.)